Monday, March 14, 2011

Internet Safety Assignment: Doing Part

Doing
To complete this part of the assignment you will need to work with a youth or parent (not a roommate). (This youth or parent could be your own parents, siblings, children, or spouse if you have children.) Then do the following:
I talked with my younger sister, age 12, about what she knew about internet safety and shared some of the things that I learned doing this assignment.
I was surprised at how much she was aware of. But I guess this makes sense seeing as she is probably more techno-savvy than I am. She told me about internet viruses and email spam and a little bit about cyber bullying. I asked her if she knew what to do if she was ever bullied online and she told me immediately to go to an adult and tell them about the problem.
I talked to her about online gaming and why it can be a problem. I also talked about the anonymity of the online world and how things are probably more easily exaggerated because they aren't face to face. It was pretty easy to talk to her about this kind of stuff, mostly because she isn't addicted to online gaming or social networking or other stuff. If I were to talk to someone who had these serious issues with the internet, the conversation would have probably been a bit more awkward and difficult to get through. It was a valuable experience to talk frankly with my sister about these issues and to more clearly define my position and beliefs on the topic.

1 comment: